Monday, October 29, 2012

"Proper" Books versus E-readers

I recently said to someone, “Oh, I’m not a gadget person, but I’m thinking of getting another Kindle”. They asked which gadgets I owned other than my older Kindle. I started to list them and I realised…err…oops!

Shortly thereafter, I came across a debate on “proper” books versus e-readers. To summarise, one person was adamant they would NEVER get an e-reader because it’s “just not the real thing”. I smiled to myself because I was in the exact position not too long ago, when the idea of reading on anything other than paper was anathema to me.

Fast-forward a mere two years and I’m now surrounding with so much choice, I’m like a kid in a candy store…and I want Santa to bring me more.

Specifically…(hope you’re listening, Santa!)…I want the Kindle Fire…


Or the new iPad Mini…(hmm, isn’t it pretty?)


But if Santa’s busy and sends his elf and they somehow get it wrong and get me a Kindle Paperwhite…


I’ll still say yes, please and thank you.

So what if it’ll bring my gadget total to….no, let’s not count them. In my defence, I still read my “proper” books, often and I don’t think I’ll ever stop.

What about you, where do you stand on E-readers versus “Proper” books”?

7 comments:

Scarlet Wilson said...

I'm a "bit of both" girl. I love my kindle when on holiday and going trips. I was the girl that used to take 14 books on holiday and have to sit on the case to close it. I'd still run out by day 10.....
My kindle also hides my purchases from the family. Amazon and The Book Depository are still the most frequent people in my letter box, but if I really owned paper copies of everything you wouldn't be able to open the door to my house!

Sutton Fox said...

Yes, let's not count the gadgets. lol. The last few years the number has grown, and now I can't imagine living without them.

I do love my Fire because it's so easy to purchase a book. I don't even have to move anything but my fingers. And no one in my house knows exactly how many books I buy. Yay!

Rachel Lyndhurst said...

I want one of those Kindle Fires! x

Christy Mitchinson said...

In the beginning of the eReader revooution I swore I'd never convert. I love the feel and smell of books, especially old ones.

Then I got the Kindle app on my phone. There is just something so freeing about being able to read in bed at night without a light and without waking DH. Don't even get me started on buying new books at 3am wrapped up in my duvet (I am such an 'instant gratification' kind of girl).

My new excuse is that when we move back to the US I won't have so many books to ship. Whatever.

Oh, and if Santa is reading this... I would love an iPad Mini and I have been very good... or about as good as I get. ;-)

Kat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kat said...

Gimme the pretties!

I can't believe I don't own any of these things yet.

Santa - SORT IT OUT! *please...*

Romy Sommer said...

I own one of the older Kindles, no fancy Fires for me, but I'm still totally in love with it.
Of course I still read 'real' books, but like Scarlet, if I bought only paper books you wouldn't be able to get in teh door.