Monday, January 16, 2012

Did you get books for Christmas?

I did. They are my favourite kind of gift, next to pretty notebooks or stationery - I am a self confessed stationery whore.

In my stocking this year I had:

The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern
The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Society by MaryAnn Shaffer
Miracle on Regent Street by Ali Harris
It started with a Kiss by Miranda Dickinson
A Tiny Bit Marvellous by Dawn French
Pip by Freya North

From them, i've read 'It started with a Kiss' - I chose this one first as it has the 'curl up by the fire at Christmas and enjoy' factor right from the start of the sparkly cover. It didn't disappoint, was a real cockle warmer, can recommend.

Pip. Have to say the husband got this one wrong as i've already got it - I love Freya's books, so he'd find it hard to find one I haven't read. My fave of all of hers is 'Cat' - it's based around the Tour de France, which in itself is an unusual setting for women's fiction. Have to confess an interest in it, as my other hlaf is a huge fan and it's become a fixture of our summers.

I've just started on Dawn French's book, and the jury is out right now. I always enjoy Dawn's sense of humour on screen, and you can really hear her voice in the book. I don't know if i'd enjoy it as much if it was from an unknown author. Hmm. Will read on and report back.

The others on my list are sitting on my bedside table waiting to be read. I love having them there, and not knowing what lies beneath their covers yet. Tempting, like unopened boxes of chocolates.

My other massive reading discovery of late has been Jenny Crusie. I read 'Bet Me' and she had me hook, line and sinker. Honestly, I adore her writing so much. It half makes me want to try harder with my own writing, and it half makes me want to stop altogether because I have so far to go. Am reading 'Tell Me Lies' in tiny chunks right now so I don't get to the end too quickly.

How about you? Did Santa bring you any books to recommend?



4 comments:

Romy Sommer said...

I'm also a stationery whore, Jo! I buy notebooks but just can't use them up fast enough. And I won't mention the very expensive set of highlighters I bought just for their colours.

Maria said...

Books are my favourite kind of gift. I just love them.

Sally Clements said...

I got the night circus too! And Patricia Cornwell's latest (finished it already) Nora Roberts latest (one chapter to go) and a couple of James Patterson's which didn't last the week...
I got notebooks too...to add to my growing collection!

Lacey Devlin said...

Santa didn't bring me any books but I had a blast buying my own :) including Melt by Natalie Anderson