1) What is your writing process?I’m definitely not a plotter. Though I wouldn’t say I’m a straight pantster either. I try to make sure I know what I’m going to write before I sit down at my desk. I’m constantly thinking about the story – in the grocery store, the kitchen, when I’m driving. So my process includes some pre-plotting. But I don’t outline or anything. As ideas come to me, I jot them down on index cards which I keep pretty much everywhere!!
2) Everyone who writes knows it's not easy - what methods do you use to keep at it on days when it would be so much easier to go shoe shopping?Well, in the interest of honesty, I will admit that some days I do just go shoe shopping. On really rough days though, I turn to my writer friends for encouragement. They understand and know just what to say.
3) Keeping fit: Do you have an exercise regime to counterbalance all those hours sitting at a computer?I try to do something physical everyday, whether it be a gym class, getting on a treadmill, or playing a little golf during the warmer months. Plus, my puppy keeps me pretty honest about getting a daily walk in. I get some of my story ideas just by moving around or being outdoors.
4) Do you believe in writer's block?I did at first. But I heard Janet Evanovich speak at an event a few years back and she said something very interesting. She said she doesn’t believe in writer’s block, just good writing days and not so good writing days. I really took that to heart.
5) Have you ever used an incident from real life in a book? If so, did it get you into trouble?Trouble? You mean you can get in trouble for that? I do it all the time. Uh oh.
6) In what way is being a published writer different to how you thought it would be?It’s very exciting, that part I expected. The social media and promotion piece is all new to me. Still working my way around that piece. Seeing something you wrote as a book in print is a bit hard to describe. A little overwhelming in a really good way!
7) Promotion is no longer a dirty word. In what ways do you strive to reach more readers?See above question! I’m still riding that learning curve. I hope to know more by the next book!
8) What is your top promo tip for other authors?Get out there and get the word out! You can’t be shy in this business.
9) What did you learn while writing this book?This was my first published book. I’m learning as we ‘speak’. The whole process, from revisions to promotion, has been a huge learning experience.
10) What was the most fun part of writing this book?I really like the hero and enjoyed writing him. He’s so flawed yet honourable and strong.
11) And just for fun: what would your hero’s honeymoon destination of choice be?Secrets of the Knight is set in the Caribbean. The hero makes his way there after losing everything he cares about. All he needs is the heroine, who manages to find him. They’ve got an evil enemy to defeat, but they’re already at the perfect honeymoon destination!
Several years ago life forced Thomas (Bo) Bowden to give up everything, including the woman he loves, and take refuge on a Caribbean island. Little did he know, he was taking the first step to fulfilling his mystical destiny.
Nicole Balian has come to the small island of Trenado to find a missing teenager. She's shocked to the core to find her former lover instead. And the attraction between her and Bo is as strong as ever.
Working together to solve the unexplained disappearances plaguing the island, they find themselves in a frightening world of voodoo and magic. Trenado's history is shrouded in supernatural mystery. The danger they face serves to reignite their love. But as Bo fights an ancient evil that haunts the island, will Nicole be able to save the man she loves? Or will she lose him once again, this time forever?
Secrets of the Knight is available in both paperback and eBook formats through Amazon and Barnes & Noble.
You can find Nina on her website, Facebook and Twitter.
* * *
One lucky commenter will receive Secrets of The Knight. Followers and commenters of the blog tour will go in the grand draw of an Amazon Gift Certificate of US$100.00! For Nina's full blog tour itinerary and more chances to win, check her AUTHOR PAGE!