Friday, June 25, 2010

Anything Goes Friday - Good Telling & Exciting News

I have a confession to make. I am really bad at showing. Telling comes way more naturally.

Happily, thanks to my lovely crit group and the editor I've been working with at Wild Rose Press, I'm learning to spot 'telling' the moment my fingers type the words on the page. But there are still times when a telling sentence works better for me than going into the detail of showing, especially when I want to make a quick point. So imagine my surprise when I followed a link to an article that was all about Good Telling. And yes, apparently there is such a thing!

So if, like me, you suffer from this affliction, here's a link to the article at Kidlit.com. The rest of you can go back to polishing your haloes.

* * * * *

On the news front, there's been some talk lately on the Subcare board at eHarlequin about a few changes to the Mills & Boon lines edited out of London. (If you're an aspiring writer and haven't yet discovered Subcare, I highly recommend it. You can click here to join the eHarlequin forums).

While no official announcement has been made, the Minxes have gone sleuthing and discovered that the Romance line appears to be splitting into two distinct categories called Riva and Cherish. According to Michelle Styles, this is more a re-branding exercise than a change in content, so there's no fear of your favourite writers disappearing from the shelves.

Cherish, as the name implies, will have the same "wonderful heart warming hearth and family" and "feel good" qualities that the current Romance line embodies, as represented by authors like Donna Alward. [Quotes are from Michelle Styles on the Subcare forum].

Riva will be a fun and flirty new line, or in the words of Kelly Hunter, whose With This Fling will launch the new line in January 2011: "Choc full of warmth, wit, and varying degrees of sensuality. Vibrant and gorgeous packaging." Writers will be sourced from both the Romance and Modern Heat lines, though Modern Heat will continue to be distributed as Presents Extra in the US and Sexy in Australia.

With four titles a month, Riva is a wonderful opportunity for new writers, and an even more wonderful source of books for readers like me who love that modern, sassy tone. If you like the sound of these books and haven't yet discovered them, look out for authors like Liz Fielding, Jessica Hart, Fiona Harper, Ally Blake and Nicola Marsh - and of course, Kelly Hunter.

If any of our blog readers have more information on the changes in Richmond, or corrections to anything we've heard so far, please feel free to leave a comment or send us an email. Our Minxy ears are pricked and ready.

5 comments:

Lorraine said...

Thanks for the link Romy, I'm interested to find out what 'good telling' is. Riva sounds an interesting move too...

Joanne Coles said...

Great post, Romy. I'm a bit behind with my gossip so this was good to hear! Looking forward to getting the official announcement and writing guidelines for these new lines :-)

Unknown said...

The new Cherish covers are revealed in the inside covers of the August Romance books. Riva will be launched in the new year and I'm working on my first book for the new series at the moment.

Liz Fielding said...

Oops, I appear to be signed in as the dh - the above comment was from me!

Maya Blake said...

It's always so wonderful to hear of new imprints and I'm really looking forward to the Riva and Cherish titles. Liz/John, good to see you here :)!