Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Author Spotlight - Dee Tenorio

Today's guest is a multi-published author, with books available through Samhain Publishing and Carina Press .... Dee Tenorio.

[PS: we Minxes are especially pleased to have Dee here today, as in her other life she is a host at the eHarlequin community forum, where we Minxes first met.]

Thanks for stopping by here today Dee.

1. Where were you in your writing career 5 years ago?

I was working on my fourth book, trying to tell myself I could get it done on time despite having 2 month old twin girls and no sleep, lol.

2. Where did you get the idea from for this particular book?

Well, my sister had passed away, so I was in a very dark place. A place I’m not sure I could have survived without my husband’s enduring support.Writing was virtually impossible and we traveled the Ortega (Hwy 74) quite often to visit my mother. Most people don’t survive accidents on that road and as I was driving home one night I thought, “So what happens to the people who do? What happens to people who don’t have the support I did?” So, Shaken is a story born out of pain, showing that love really can help in the worst of times.

3. Where do you hope to be in 5 years time?

Well, it’s possibly vain of me, but I do have these fantasies of being stocked in every store, with a home of my own and a career that allows me to do the best for my family.

4. Which was the last book you read that you wish you'd written?

“Bonds Of Justice” by Nalini Singh. There’s such honest love, passion and depth to the passages of that book. Siiiiiigh…

5. Was there any particular author or book that made you want to be a writer?

Well, I’ve always loved writing, but I especially had a deep love for Lois Duncan’s novels and Daphne du Maurier’s “Rebecca”. That book inspired me greatly.

6. Do you find writing love scenes giggle-worthy or cringe-worthy – or neither?

LOL! Love scenes are hard work, really. I want so bad for them to be more than Tab A and Slot B and a lot of thrusting. I try my best to make them mean something to the characters.

7. What's the most romantic moment of your life so far?

Every time my husband walks towards me, that look on his face that’s intense and says, “I’m gonna kiss you and you’re going to be happy about it.” *fans self* I LOVE it when he does that.

8. What do you wish you'd known about being an author before you were pubbed?

How long it would take to become a published author, lol. That could have saved a lot of frustration. LOL! Also, I wish I knew as much now about editing.

9. What's the best writing advice you've ever been given?

Trust yourself. You’ll be surprised where your stories can take you.

10. Tell us about your latest release.

My last release is an erotic novella called “Shaken”, about a couple in the verge of divorce, their once idyllic life obliterated by the death of their young daughter. When the hero, Dr. Grant Sullivan, tries desperately to win his wife, Julia, back, an earthquake traps them in an elevator, leaving them no way to run from their pain and one last chance to find one another again.

11. What’s next for you?

Quite a few things, actually. I have an erotic romantic comedy anthology I’m part of coming out at the end of May, self-pubbed, and the sequel to last year’s paranormal romantic suspense with Carina Press, Deceiving The Protector coming out in August. I’m SO excited about both of them!

Shaken is available from Samhain Press here.

You can follow Dee on Twitter, Facebook and MySpace, and visit her blog or her website for updates on her books. And don't forget to check her out on YouTube!

13 comments:

Rachael Johns said...

Hi Dee!! LOVE the sound of your new book. I admire any author who can lock their characters up together and keep the story interesting!
Your husband sounds like a honey. Lucky girl. x

Anonymous said...

"Shaken" sounds fabulous, Dee. And I also love this:“I’m gonna kiss you and you’re going to be happy about it.” LOL. That's hot!

Rachel Lyndhurst said...

Shaken sounds fab! Good luck with it, Dee!

Dee Tenorio said...

Thanks ladies!! And yes, Aimee, lol. He thinks I'm goofy for turning into a puddle for him, especially after almost 20 years together, but...well, can't help it when he's being yummy. :)

LOL, any other questions anyone might have? I'll be checking in all day. :)

Dee

Abbi said...

Um, Dee, if my husband said that to me, I'd turn into a puddle, too. He just makes me dance with him and then I fall in love all with him all over again.

Abbi :-)

Sally Clements said...

Dee, great post. I really admire you for writing Shaken, it sounds like a very emotional book to write, and no doubt to read too. Now off to check you out on YouTube!

Sally Clements said...

ooh! Just looked at you on YouTube, great trailer!
You asked for questions, so I'll be cheeky and ask...any gossip from Harlequin/M&B? (we won't tell, honest!)

Wendy S Marcus said...

Hi Dee!
Great interview! Shaken sounds like a must read. Is it on Amazon?

Jackie Ashenden said...

Yay, Dee! You're awesome! You hubby sounds awesome too. Must check out Shaken. I love emotionally wrenching stuff like that.

Nas said...

Hi Dee,

Shaken, wow, look at the cover...awesome! Loved reading about you.

Dee Tenorio said...

Ack!! I had to go into town and thought, Trusty iPod will get me on the site, I'll be fine.

Alas, iPod couldn't post!! MUCH waaaaaahing here!

But I was making notes!! And I want to make it up to you with a random giveaway. :)

Notes first!!

Abbi—trust me, when he actually says things like that, my eyes roll up in my head and it's pretty much guaranteed I need no more romancing, lol

Sally—LOL, I'm glad you liked the trailer. And yes, I admit, I was a sobbing mess for the entirety of writing that. I actually had to stop sometimes and just cry. It was, in many ways, cathartic for me...but very bad for my pillowcases, lol. As for gossip... I know they're planning to rock the SYTYCW project this fall like gangbusters. ;) (Does that help?)

Wendy—Hi Wendy! Yup, all my books are on Amazon (thank God they haven't figured out how to get rid of me, lol)

Jackie—LOL! Thanks! I think you're awesome too (which, yes, I don't get bored of telling you.) Since I know you love the sobby ones, just be prepared, it's also hella-frisky. :)

Nas!!—Yes, I LOVE the cover for Shaken! Nathalie Grey did an amazing job with it. I have this dream of making it into a poster, lol.

So, random giveaway! I'll leave the comments open til Noon tomorrow and have hubby pick randomly among the posters for a free e-copy of Shaken. :)

Hugs all and thanks so much for having me!!
Dee

Dee Tenorio said...

Morning ladies! Just woke up here on the West Coast and realized it's afternoon on the East. :) So I had hubby do his hat pick thing and he selected...

Jackie Ashenden!

So email me, lady, and I'll get you an ecopy in your choice of format. :)

Thanks for commenting everyone!
Dee

Jackie Ashenden said...

Woohoo! I'm a happy girl. Thanks lovely Minxes and Dee!