Thursday, July 11, 2013

Author Spotlight - Kathy Bosman

Ubuntu is a new line of romance novels from Decadent Publishing - a line of books set in Africa and featuring African characters. One of the line's launch titles, Dragonfly Moments by South African author Kathy Bosman, is in our spotlight today.

Kathy has appeared in our Spotlight before, talking about her debut novel Wedding Gown Girl, so today's interview will be a little shorter than usual.

1. Do you write every day?
I wish, I wish, and I wish. Lately, it’s been really hard as I have two more books coming out this year so I’ve worn the editing hat quite a bit. Life’s demands squeeze out my time but on some of my good days, I make up for the bad ones. Note some, not all.

2. Which blog(s) do you read regularly?
I read the Minxy blog and some author friends’ blogs as well as The Bookshelf Muse. They have some wonderful writing tips. That’s not all. I read about ten other blogs on other topics I’m interested in, so yes, my blog reader software on my phone keeps quite busy.

3. Keeping fit: Do you have an exercise regime to counterbalance all those hours sitting at a computer?
I have got a little lazy in this regard. I used to run 10 km races but nowadays prefer walking. Twice a week, I do my exercise DVDs which are a mix of dance moves, weights, and general exercise. Once a week, I go on my much-needed jog / walk where I get lots of writing inspiration. My kids rope me into playing soccer or hockey sometimes but lately, I lose everything as they get older and stronger. I was never good at sport but do really enjoy it.

4. Just for fun: a year from the end of the book, where would your couple go on holiday?
Ryan loves safari so they would probably go to Kruger National Park and go on game drives and a few walks or maybe God’s Window in Mpumalanga so Tessa can sketch the mountains and scenery. The place they stay at would have to offer top-class cuisine to match Ryan’s taste being a chef.

5. Could you be friends with any of your heroines?
I would probably find all my heroines fun to be friends with. They all have a little bit of me in them but also elements that are so different to me. I’m trying to learn the importance of making female characters who are kind yet not wimpish. It’s a hard balance to reach but it makes them likeable—to me at least. I think my favourites so far have been Kienna and Elaine. Kienna is from “Wedding Gown Girl” and Elaine is from a book I have coming out in September called “Three Tiers for Win.”

6. Have you ever written a hero you'd be happy to run off with?
I love all my heroes but I suppose Ryan from Dragonfly Moments and Win are my favourites. Win is super hot being an Olympic swimmer yet has some dark secrets which make him mysterious. Despite that, he’s a great love for his lady. Ryan has the patience of a saint and I love his rugged look. His looks are based a little on my hubby’s looks.

Blurb:

A young woman’s first love walks back into her life at the worst time possible—she is about to start a family with another man. But when her dreams begin to crumble, which one will be there to help her pick up the pieces?
Seven years earlier, at university, Tessa Calitz wrote a letter to Ryan le Roux promising her undying love. As time passed, she forgot about that letter...but not Ryan, who clung to the hope that she would wait for him.
Such is not the case when he walks back into her life. Tessa is in a serious relationship, and is busy setting up her art gallery in Johannesburg. She has plans to start a family, and the arrival of Ryan into her life throws her for a spin.
He is the worst thing that could happen to her dream of stability and starting a family...or is he?
Because when her relationship and everything she clung to starts to crumble, Ryan is right beside her to inspire her to greater things.
But her obsession for having her own child pushes Ryan away when she falls in love with an orphaned HIV-positive baby.
What can Ryan do to make Tessa realize that being with him is what her heart has longed for all along?


Dragonfly Moments is available from Amazon, Amazon UK, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, All Romance eBooks and direct from Decadent Publishing.

You can find links to my other books at www.kathybosman.com. I also have a new book coming out at the end of the month called Cosmetic Heart.

2 comments:

Nana Prah said...

I enjoyed the interview. I'm smiling because, it was so cool.

Kathy Bosman said...

Thank you, Nana! You're such a great writer friend. And thank you Romy and minxes for giving me a slot today. I enjoyed answering your questions.