Monday, May 31, 2010

Monday Minx - Joanne

Because I sometimes get a bit behind on things, I didn't get around to doing the 5-5-5 thingy that many of my blogger friends did. So, I'm going to use that today as a way of introducing myself on our lovely shiny new blog :-)

1. Where were you 5 years ago?

- I was living in the same house I have now, having just 7 weeks earlier given birth (at home!) to my 3rd child
- I was on maternity leave from my rather demanding job as a legal assistant in the Family Department of a city centre Solicitors firm
- I had a rather strange on/off relationship with my husband (now the ex). My feelings were more on, his were more off!!
- I read rather a lot of crime fiction, if someone died in a book I wanted to read it! Rather fitted my mindset at the time I think
- Writing-wise I thought about it a lot, but hadn't done any writing for around 10 years and that had been non-fiction

2. What is/was on your to-do list today?

- I really need to clean out the cupboard under the stairs, you know, that space where stuff gets dumped until it's incredibly difficult to actually shut the door
- The usual cooking, cleaning, ironing and running around after the 5 kids
- Having a picnic outside in the garden (so long as the notoriously bad English weather holds out)
- Doing some writing tonight, for the first time in a fair few weeks. I want to feel WIP love again!
- Get some crits done for poor ladies who have been waiting tooooo long for me to get myself into gear (sorry!)

3. What 5 snacks do you enjoy?

- Revels! I love the different sweets you get all in the same packet, all covered in chocolate. What's not to love?!
- Fresh bread. Ok, not technically a snack, but there's no greater taste (or smell).
- Apples. Don't shoot me, people, these usually come after the chocolate--it's a delicate balancing act!!
- Dry roasted peanuts. Love those things, right up until my sister told me how bad they are for you. Actually, I still love them, but don't eat them quite as much as I used to now
- Slices of Gouda cheese, oh the joy and love of good cheese eaten by itself straight from the fridge

4. What places have you lived in?

- Munster, this is the place of my birth. Some will say it is very apt as I look a little like a Herman Munster type monster first thing in a morning. Actually, my kids will tell you I look like that a lot of the time ...
- Borden, an Army camp in, I think, Hampshire but I was too young to remember this
- Osnabruck, Bielefeld, Dortmund and possible other places in Germany I've forgotten (my dad didn't get any of the glam postings of Hong Kong or Gibraltar or other places with sun!)
- Bovington Camp in Dorset, absolutely loved living there. Went to the most marvellous school and did every sport they offered. Some of my happiest times were spent there.
- For the past 23 years I've lived in Hull, East Yorkshire in several different houses but always to the west of the City. Living in the east side is not what you do when you support the best Rugby League team in the City!!

5. What 5 things would you do if you were a millionaire?

- Build a children's home. Hmm, actually I'd like to build one in every city that needs one in the world. Think I might need to be a trillionaire for that. It's alright building them, but as I know, it's pretty expensive feeding and clothing kids!
- Go live somewhere really warm, I was never meant to suffer through English summers with my love for the sun!
- Pay someone to work out how to stop places from flooding and route the water to places that are too dry and don't get enough rain. In this day and age, that surely can't be too hard ...
- Pay off the mortgages of my close family members
- Hire a maid! Yes, on seeing my house, I may need a millionaire to encourage someone to come clean for me!!

And to finish off, I'm going to give you 5 things you may not know about me. You may not ever need to know them, either, but here we go:-

- I love to knit and sew ... but these leisure time hobbies have bit the dust now I have the writing bug
- I am a foster parent, have 3 natural children and currently 2 foster children
- I have a deep love for Elvis Presley. Perhaps because my mum took over my 4th birthday playing his records over and over again because that is the day he died ... but his music stuck with me
- I love Rugby League and it's not just the thighs, although they are rather marvellous, I love the game :-)
- I like to talk, I'm sure none of you have realised that yet ... but it's true. Just ask the Minxes, we've been having weekly brainstorming sessions on Skype ... we don't know when to stop, it's fab and I'm so grateful for all of my lovely crit partners.

11 comments:

Rachael Johns said...

So lovely to learn more about you Joanne! I relate to loving knitting and sewing - although I was more craft and sewing - and not having time as all the spare stuff goes on writing now :)

Maya Blake said...

Excellent post, Minx Jo. I too, have a deep love for Elvis Presley - to-die-for voice, dreamy eyes - what's not to love? Well aside from some of those hideous sequins, but still... :)

Our brainstorming sessions are super, aren't they? Especially since we get to work AND play! Off to try and put some of that work into actual writing now!

Sally Clements said...

Great post, Jo! I love Elvis too, must be a minxy thing. Love the things you'll do when you're a millionaire, will print it out to remind you when you are!

Sandra Sookoo said...

Nice to get to know you :-) Hope the rest of your day or day is fabulous!

Lorraine said...

Great post Jo, I hope you find that WIP love again soon.

P.S. I love that you love to talk - skyping has been great fun and productive too!

Jackie Ashenden said...

Hey Jo, cool post! You should be in NZ with your love of rugby league...

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

Great post, Jo. Have to admit I also love Elvis.

XX

Kerrin said...

skype is awesome, we use it for the kids to talk to the grandparents :)

Lacey Devlin said...

Great post Joanne!

Maisey said...

Jo, I think you're quite possibly the sweetest woman in the world. ;-)

Tara Pammi said...

Great post, Jo.

And Maisey, you're right. Jo is really a sweet person.


Sri.