Thursday, June 13, 2013

Author Spotlight - Rae Rivers

Today I have the pleasure of introducing an author who is not only a fellow South African but also a fellow Harper Impulse author. Yay, and welcome to Rae Rivers.

1. Tell our readers a little bit about yourself.
I’ve always had a love of storytelling and handwrote my first book at the age of 12. I’ve always written contemporary / romantic suspense novels and never considered branching out into paranormal romance until out of the blue, a witch came to mind with her story. It was daunting at first as it was completely out of my comfort zone but I had so much fun writing The Keepers.

2. What number book is this? First? 100th? 200th? (Nora only!)
Archer will be my first book published, followed later with the other two books of the trilogy.

3. Everyone who writes knows it's not easy - what methods do you use to keep at it on days when it would be so much easier to go shoe shopping?
I read somewhere that a writer should write consistently, even when the creative spark is absent. I can’t do this. I have to be in my story, feel inspired, and connect with my characters. If I don’t, then all I have at the end of a writing session are words I hate and a lot of frustration. Sometimes, when shoe shopping seems more attractive, I go shoe shopping. Then I write. I’ve learnt to go with the flow but with two more books to write, I’m trying hard to develop some sort of writing routine that works for me.

4. What is your top promo tip for other authors?
Social media is a great tool for any author in terms of exposure, connecting with other authors, and getting your name out there. I only joined this online world a year ago but I’ve made so many new author friends who have taught me so much. Thanks, ladies! As for the promo tips - I’m new at this and still learning so please send some tips my way!

5. How does writing fit into your day? Or does your day fit in around your writing?
Up until now, my writing has had to fit into my day but as it’s become so much more than what it was originally, I’ve had to reassess my daily routine to make more time for it. It’s hard with two young children around to find the quiet time needed to write, so most of my writing is done when they’re asleep. Fortunately, my hubby has been very supportive and often whisks the kids off on outings to give me some precious time alone with my imaginary friends.

6. Do you write every day?
No, there are days when life simply runs away with me but I really need to start writing every day. If I’m away from the story for too long, it takes a while to get back into it. This, combined with the several writing deadlines looming, I’m making a huge effort to write more consistently. My family just needs to get the memo!

7. In what way is being a published writer different to how you thought it would be?
It’s so much fun but it’s hard work and requires a lot of time behind the computer doing everything but writing! Social media, planning, marketing, research ... the list is endless! The one thing I didn’t expect was the amount of continuous support and enthusiasm from other authors. This has been wonderful and something I treasure.

8. What was the most fun part of writing this book?
I loved the magic system in this book and the way it connects Sienna to her three Keepers. It was fun to explore this and create a mythology of my own. I also loved the relationship between the three brothers and had so much fun with the brotherly banter.

9. At what point in your career did you actually start to feel like you were a writer?
The more I wrote, the more I started to feel like a writer. It was only after my first sale that I started to believe that I could actually write. Hopefully, readers will think so too!

10. Do you have any tips, tricks or sacrificial rituals you do when you hit a story roadblock?
I hate story roadblocks! I love using Pinterest for gathering images for inspiration and I have a friend who is always keen to brainstorm ideas with me. I also know when to walk away for a day or two if my head’s not in the right space. Sometimes, a little distance gives me the light bulb moment I need.


BLURB
The Keepers: Archer

Lose yourself in the world of The Keepers, an exciting new Paranormal Romance trilogy from Rae Rivers.
“Don’t ever look for me again, Archer.”
His mouth curled into a smile. “Game on.”

Central Park. Sienna Beckham is out jogging in the autumn sun, feeling almost ordinary. Trouble is, she'll never be. She's on the run from her life as a powerful witch and the three Keepers blood-bound to protect her.

Evil is hot on Sienna's tail and Archer Bennett is searching for her, desperate to find her before they do. As one of her Keepers, he will fight to his death to defend her.

Sienna must return and defend her hometown, Rapid Falls – but she has to face the past and master her powers. And as forbidden feelings blossom between Sienna and Archer, will their love survive the ultimate war?

The Keepers: three strong and handsome warrior brothers, born to protect.

The Keepers: Archer is published by Harper Impulse, Harper Collins, and will be available from 20 June 2013. In the meantime, you can read the opening chapter here.

The book is also available to pre-order on Amazon, Amazon UK, Kobo and Barnes & Noble.

You can catch up with Rae on Facebook, Twitter and on her blog.



7 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for having me here today, Romy!

Lorraine said...

Hi Rae, it's lovely to have you on the blog. I find Pinterest really useful too but agree - there is so much to do on top of writing it's really hard to fit it all in!
Good luck with this trilogy :-)

Sally Clements said...

Hi Rae, congratulations on your debut!

Gina Rossi said...

Rae, I am so with you on the 'writing every day' aspect. When I leave my WIP for even just a few days I find it slips from my grasp. I have to spend an entire day procrastinating before I can get back in!

Unknown said...

Thank you, ladies! Lovely to share this with you all and I appreciate the support! x

Zee Monodee said...

I hearbout needing to be more dedicated to writing every day or more regularly. Life happens, don't I know that, but writing is a part of us, and being away for too long leaves us completely deflated and depressed, innit?

Congrats again on the trilogy soming our with Harper Impulse. I cannot wait to read Archer!

xoxo

Nas said...

Your book sounds exciting Rae. I hope I get an opportunity to read it.