Friday, June 15, 2012

Milestones & Counting Blessings

I really wanted to come up with something hugely profound and awe-inspiring for my last post before I turn, ahem, "21". Over the last couple of weeks I've wracked my (according to my daughter) ever-dwindling brain cells for earth-moving subjects.

In the end, I've decided to keep it simple. As I move into another decade, I'm reminded how transient life can be and with that in mind, I thought what better way to say goodbye to the old decade and hello to the new than by counting blessings?

So here are a simple (writerly) five:

1. I'm thankful for my lovely CPs who bolster me and whoop for me and are always there with "you can do this". I treasure them without measure.

2. The lovely people I've met throughout my writing journey. Writing is such a solitary craft but the knowledge that I can reach out to my wonderful writer friends is priceless to me.

3. I'm thankful for the equally wonderful books out there that make me want to become a better writer just by the magic they produce. There's nothing more inspiring IMO than reading a book that gets you so jazzed up you can't wait to get writing yourself.

4.  Twitter! I never thought I'd say this about any social media, but I love this medium so much for the inspiration and camaraderie I get when I log on, I can't not mention it. Twitter Rocks!!

5. Chocolate - enough said.

So there you have it folks. And to make the chocolate lovers out there really jealous, I thought I'd cheekily post a replica pic of the cake I intend to have tomorrow (mine's being decorated). It's a chocolate curly wurly cake from Konditor & Cook and each slice tastes like a little piece of heaven...

Please feel free to share what you're thankful for. We'd love to know.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

That cake looks fabulous! Happy Birthday! Hope you have a lovely time. I'm thankful for my tolerant family who put up with my writing angst and my mess without moaning. :0)

Kat said...

A gorgeous post from a gorgeous lady. :O)

Happy Birthday Maya, and enjoy your sparkling new decade! You have so much to look forward to, not least the release of your fab debut book. What a great way to kick things off!

Cake looks sinfully good. Mmm.

Happy Birthday! xx

Kate Reedwood and Felicity Kates said...

Happy birthday, Maya!!!Enjoy the very awesome looking cake and this very awesome new decade of love, happiness and writerly success in your life. You deserve every moment of happiness. xo

Sutton Fox said...

Happy birthday, Maya! Wishing you another decade full of everything wonderful. Couldn't happen to a nicer or harder working person.

Enjoy that yummy looking, and well deserved cake!

Maya Blake said...

Thanks so much, Charlotte! Only a few hours left till I'm "21", yayyyy! And I can't wait to get my hands on my cake :)

Maya Blake said...

Thank you, my lovely Jo. You're too kind to me. Love you!!

Maya Blake said...

Thanks so much, Kate! Only a few hours left of the old decade. DH's given me a hint of what I'm getting tomorrow so I'm really looking forward to it now :)

Maya Blake said...

Twyla, I'm so touched by your words, my lovely. Thank you :)

Romy Sommer said...

Happy birthday, Maya! Thanks for sharing your cake with us.

Maya Blake said...

Thank you, Romy :)