Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Author Spotlight - Ali McNamara

Today we have British author Ali McNamara in our spotlight. We're talking about Ali's debut novel, From Notting Hill with Love... Actually, and we're also giving you a sneak peak at her next book, Breakfast at Darcy's, which is coming out in November.

Ali also has a really fascinating story about how she became a writer - you can read it here.

1. Where were you in your writing career 5 years ago?
I was just coming up with the idea for From Notting Hill with Love… Actually

2. Where did you get the idea from for this particular book?
From Notting Hill with Love...Actually came to me when I was watching one of those countdowns on the music channels – ‘100 greatest Movie theme tunes.’
As each of the songs came on to the screen I realised the movies were so well known I knew exactly what was going on in each plot even without dialogue, and I thought it would be wonderful if I could get all those great movies into one story, and that’s how the idea began to take shape.


3. Where do you hope to be in 5 years time?
I’d like to still be writing books that people enjoy reading, and would love for a few of those books to have been adapted into movies…

4. Which was the last book you read that you wish you'd written?
That’s never happened to me. I think each author has their own voice and no-one can ever tell a story quite the same as the person who’s inventing it in the first place.

5. Was there any particular author or book that made you want to be a writer?

I loved Enid Blyton as child, and devoured everything she wrote.

6. Do you find writing love scenes giggle-worthy or cringe-worthy – or neither?
Much easier to do for real than to write down on a page!

7. What's the most romantic moment of your life so far?
I hope I haven’t had it yet…

8. What do you wish you'd known about being an author before you were pubbed?
How much fun it would be getting feedback from readers who have enjoyed your books!

9.What's the best writing advice you've ever been given?
Published authors are the ones that don’t give up.

10. Tell us about your latest release.

Breakfast at Darcy’s
When Darcy McCall loses her beloved Aunt Molly, she doesn't expect any sort of inheritance - let alone a small island. Located off the west coast of Ireland, Tara hasn't been lived on for years, but according to Molly's will Darcy must stay there for twelve months in order to fully inherit, and she needs to persuade a village full of people to settle there, too. Darcy has to leave behind her independent city life and swap stylish heels for muddy wellies. Between sorting everything from the plumbing to the pub, Darcy meets confident Conor and ever-grumpy Dermot - but who will make her feel really at home?

Breakfast at Darcy’s was inspired after a visit to a real island - Great Blasket, off the west coast of Ireland. It’s published in November 2011

11. What’s next for you?
I’m currently working on a sequel to From Notting Hill with Love… Actually and I’m very excited to be jetting off to New York next week on a research trip!

From Notting Hill, With Love ... Actually is available from Amazon and Amazon UK.

* * * 

The last give-away in our Minxy Birthday Bash is a copy of our very own Sally Minx's Catch Me a Catch. This novel, set in Ireland, and published by The Wild Rose Press, was a contender for the RNA's Joan Hessayon Award. To enter, just leave a comment below. The winner will be announced on the weekend.

7 comments:

Rachael Johns said...

You guys are bad for my budget - another author to add to my To Buy list! This book sounds FABULOUS!

Kat said...

I love love love the sound of your books Ali, I think i've just found my beach read for this summer!

Talli Roland said...

I loved Ali's first book and can't wait for the next. Great interview!

Sally Clements said...

This sounds great, Ali, can't wait to read it!

April Vine said...

Hi Ali

What an amazing journey you've had! I absolutely love Ronan Keating - my favorite all time song is 'When you say nothing at all." :)
Must get your books into my TBR pile!

Good luck.

Kathy Bosman said...

I would love to read your books. Such unique ideas. Thanks for the encouragement to not give up and keep my voice. Writing is so much fun!!!

Z3 said...

Your tallent is amazing
https://www.examtunes.blogspot.com